Monday, April 27, 2009

Vendors Unveiled: Datura - A Modern Garden

This week, Bliss Weddings spotlights a modern and stylistic floral designer. This florist is truly a master of his craft and has absolutely transformed many events through his unique use of form and lines in floral arrangements. We would like to introduce you to floral artist Tony Palmieri!




Name: Datura - A Modern Garden

Website: http://www.amoderngarden.com/

Blog:
http://www.amoderngarden.wordpress.com/

Where are you located, and what geographical area(s) do you service?
Our office is in Middletown, Connecticut -- we service all of Connecticut, southern Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and some of New York State. -- we'll go anywhere!

How long have you been in business?
15 years

What drew you to floral design as a profession?
Believe it or not, I started out as a delivery person 22 years ago. I was working full-time evenings as a graphic designer -- when my first son was born, I needed some extra income and took a job delivering flowers, which I did on and off for 5 years. When the owner of the store approached me about learning how to design florals, my initial response was, "no!" -- but as soon as I picked the knife up, I knew I had found the perfect medium with which to express myself.

What do you feel sets you apart as a florist?
What sets Datura apart from other florists is the understanding that floral design is an art -- a form of sculpture. We never make the same arrangement twice. Every design is a new opportunity to express ourselves and, in turn, our clients. The fact that we view each flower as an individual, expressive creature helps us to mold them into designs that transcend the aesthetic and move into the deeper realm of emotion.

What do you love most about your job?
I love the fact that I get to have my hands in dirt and rocks -- that I get to play with sticks and stems and blooms. Honestly, it's like being a kid -- getting my hands dirty. I feel so fortunate that I am able to make a living creating art with my own hands. It was the only thing about graphic design that I didn't like - the fact that it was all computerized. There's nothing better to me than having a vision and letting the forces of nature work through me to make that vision a reality.

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
Clever. It's my favorite thing to be called.

No comments: