Monday, May 4, 2009

Vendors Unveiled: Creative Image Collections

This week’s Vendors Unveiled features photographer Megan LaBarbera of Creative Image Collections. We met up with Megan for lunch a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time getting to know her. She is such a sweet person who truly loves what she does, and it shows in her beautiful and timeless images.


Name: Megan (Baker) LaBarbera

Website: www.creativeimagecollections.com

Blog: www.creativeimagecollections.com/blog

Where are you located, and what geographical area(s) do you service?
Danbury, Connecticut and I service CT, NY, NJ, MA, RI and I love to travel and will hop on plane to any destination worldwide!

How long have you been in business?
I have been shooting weddings for nearly 8 years this summer, but "technically" opened my business in June of 2004.

What drew you to photography as a profession?
One of my favorite childhood memories was having popcorn and sitting with my family to watch the old slide-shows of our family's pictures. My Dad was the artist in the family, photography being one of his hobbies. If it weren't for him, we would not have much to look back on now to remember growing up as a family. When he past away, we hunted for photographs of him and found very few. That was sad to me. We had very few moments to remember him by. Photographs help people relive moments and emotions. The fact that through a camera and lens you have the ability to capture a single moment in life and transfer it to paper to share with others for generations fascinates me. Photographs help us not only to remember, but to connect with others. My photography/work helps me to connect with people and with life in general. I find it extremely fulfilling. I can't imagine doing anything but this. It makes me happy! Being paid to do it is just a bonus!

What do you feel sets you apart as a photographer?
I feel it is extremely hard to set yourself apart from others in the wedding photography industry for the simple reason that there are so many photographers out there. If I had to say it came down to one thing that sets me apart from others I would say that it is that I always remain myself. There won't be another "Megan" showing up at my client's weddings or portrait sessions! As long as I remain grounded and true to myself, I will always be setting myself apart.

What do you love most about your job?
Oh, there is a loooooooong list for this one! I don't think I can list them in their entirety here so I will list whatever comes to my mind. I love all aspects of my job really. I love meeting new people and learning about them, their histories, their relationships, etc. I love photographing them and being able to provide them with a collection of memories to enjoy for generations. I love creating custom designed albums from scratch, starting with a blank canvas and then having it turn into this beautifully crafted book of memories to cherish. I get a real fulfilling sense of completion and I get a real high from that. Sounds crazy but true. I have even grown to love the business end of things, from marketing to networking to figuring out how to structure my business financially. I guess if I had to put it in a nutshell I would have to say I love the constant challenges this business throws your way. It can be quite challenging and I LOVE a good challenge! ;o)

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
I am passionate. I am passionate about everything I do in life. I don't do something if I am not going to be putting 100% into it and doing it from the heart. From photographing to being a parent. Everything I do requires me in full. I do it all from the heart! I wouldn't want to live life any other way!

No comments: