Monday, June 22, 2009

Vendors Unveiled: Robin Dini Photography

We first met Robin Dini a few years back at a wedding we were coordinating. It was immediately obvious that she is a breath of fresh air in the wedding photography business. She is fun and laid back and makes her photo subjects completely comfortable. Her ability to do this is truly an asset to her clients.

A few weeks ago, Jess and I had the pleasure to meet Robin for coffee. And no surprise- we had an absolute blast! Robin is one of those people whom you meet once and feel like you've known them your entire life. We had a wonderful time discussing the upcoming new addition to her family (you'll learn more about that below), her experiences as a wedding photographer and her outlook on life and the industry in general.

Please enjoy a look into the mind of this talented and lovely woman.


Name: Robin Dini

Website: http://www.robindiniphoto.com/

Blog: http://www.robindiniphotography.blogspot.com/

Where are you located, and what geographical area(s) do you service?
I do business out of New Haven, CT and offer my services to Connecticut, New York, Massachusetts, and am willing to travel throughout New England.

How long have you been in business?
I have been in business for 5 years.

What drew you to photography as a profession?
Fine Art has always been an interest of mine. I excelled in the arts throughout my years of schooling and continued to focus my studies on it while in college. I graduated with two Bachelors Degrees, one in Elementary Education and the other in Studio Art: Photography. I tried teaching for a short time but wanted to be on my own and decided to take the leap and begin shooting portraits and weddings. I love telling stories with my images and showing my subject's true personalities and emotions in my images. Transitioning into weddings let me achieve that on a much larger scale.

What do you feel sets you apart as a photographer?
I think it's important to focus on something that you are good at and try to offer that as your main selling point. I pride myself on being a good storyteller, both in pictures and in words. I like the simpler things. I try to keep my images clean, emotive, and leaving the viewer to want more.

What do you love most about your job?
I enjoy the relationships and interactions. First, the relationships I develop with my clients as they plan and experience their wedding day. Hearing their details, meeting family members, being a friend to them if they need any advice along the way. The excitement build up is awesome! My most favorite part of my job is simply being the "people watcher" on the day of an event. Observing interactions between guests and family, the couple and the world around them. I become very emotionally involved when I am shooting and really get fired up when emotion is at it's peek. I take those opportunities to shoot all those wonderful moments that are real and not staged. That is especially true now with one specific portion of the reception for me. My husband and I are expecting a baby boy in September and watching the mother and son dance takes my emotion and observation to shoot to a whole new level. It's awesome!

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
Storyteller

No comments: