Sunday, March 15, 2009

Vendors Unveiled: Digital Media Odyssey

I'm following in Elizabeth's footsteps with this week's Vendors Unveiled and featuring one of my own wedding vendors: Matt Fink of Digital Media Odyssey. I hadn't initially planned on having a videographer, but hiring Matt turned out to be one of the best wedding-related decisions I made. My husband Greg was also skeptical about the idea at first, figuring I would watch the video once, after which it would be forever tucked away in a closet collecting dust.

Boy did I ever prove him wrong! I watched that video every day for at least two months after the wedding. I'm not kidding. I couldn't get enough of it, and that was due in large part to Matt's amazing editing skills. It's not just a video; it's a movie, complete with a soundtrack, and credits, and outtakes. It is a work of art. Even Greg was impressed, and though he would complain when I'd put the video on for the third time in a single day (again, not kidding), I would often catch him watching from the other room. My friends loved it too, so much so that three of them hired Matt to film their own weddings after seeing it.


Name: Matt Fink

Website: www.dmodyssey.com

Blog: Blog.DMOdyssey.com

Where are you located, and what geographical area(s) do you service?
I am currently located in Danbury, soon to be Stamford, CT and I work all over! I have filmed in New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania. I love traveling and experiencing new places to film, so wherever it may be, we will go!

How long have you been in business?
Been in business since February of 2002

What drew you to videography as a profession?
I have always had an interest in film and video, just never thought about doing wedding and events, especially considering at the time I had only been to maybe one wedding in my life. After a friend's sister's friend needed a videographer and asked if I would do it, knowing I had my own equipment, I said sure why not, not expecting much from it, but it was so different then what I imagined, it was just fun and enjoyable and knowing I was giving them this piece of their personal history of one of the most important days of their lives and knowing they can show family and friends and their children down the road what their wedding was like made me fall in love with it. Its such an amazing industry where you get to work with a melting pot of cultures, religions and people and it's just so rewarding knowing you played a part in a memory that will be with them forever.

What do you feel sets you apart as a videographer?
I think there are a few things that set me apart from other videographers. I think my style is all in it's own. I don't follow any other traditional style or other videographers style, I made my own and I am constantly trying to improve on it and reinvent myself every wedding I do. I love music. Music helps make the video flow and with the use of music I can really tell the story of someone's wedding and it helps produce such a beautifully emotional ride. I also am very open to discussion and ideas anyone has when it comes to their video. Special requests are my specialties! Whether it be using a song that doesn't fit anywhere else or adding a segment for outtakes, I love listening to what people have to say and their ideas - it's their video, it needs to last them a lifetime, I want it to be perfect!

What do you love most about your job?
There is so much I love about my job. I would say the number one thing I love is knowing that I helped preserve a memory of such a huge event in someone's life. Making people laugh and cry and see things they missed during their day. I love the fact that I get to experience so much diversity in cultures and religions. I love that I get film the one event where there is hardly anyone who isn't having a great time or smiling. I love being able to let my creativity flow. I love being able to tell a story! I love it all! Working in the wedding industry is such an amazing thing!

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
If I had to describe myself in one word it would be Passionate.

No comments: