Monday, March 2, 2009

Vendors Unveiled: Mew Paper Arts

We’re pleased to announce a new feature on our blog called Vendors Unveiled. We thought our blog readers would enjoy getting to know more about the many wonderful vendors out there, so we’ll be posting a series of brief interviews with various wedding professionals.

Our first featured vendor is Alissa Harvey from Mew Paper Arts. Alissa is an extremely talented stationery designer and of course we loved the fact that her business name was inspired by her cat!


Name: Alissa Harvey, owner Mew Paper Arts

Location: Danbury, CT (servicing clients nationwide)

Website: www.mewpaperarts.com

Blog: curiouserandcuriouser.typepad.com

How long have you been in business?
I started my stationery design business in 2006 via Etsy.com when I was working full time in a real estate office. After the first Christmas season on Etsy I saw a huge increase in business, and branched a little further out into the wedding invitation design. In January, 2008 I was able to dump my boring day job and dig into Mew full time. I haven’t looked back, and most days I can’t believe how lucky I am to do what I love!

What drew you to stationery design as a profession?
I was totally the art-geek in highschool, and went on to study art and illustration in college. I would send my friends in other colleges handmade cards that I put together in my dorm room. When I got into the real world I felt like I should have a more corporate type job. What was I thinking? It was never the right fit, and it didn’t take me long to realize that I needed to be creative every day.

What do you feel sets you apart as a stationery designer?
I think my clients choose to work with me because they are looking for a unique product, and appreciate buying handmade. There are many stationery design boutiques that offer nice work, but lack the one-on-one service that I offer each and every one of my clients. Your entire stationery ensemble can be customized, and I use original art and illustration to make your invitations really stand out. I make myself available and approachable so that there is a real person for a stressed-out bride to describe her vision to—and really get what she wants.

What do you love most about your job?
Oh, do I have to just pick one thing??? This is the BEST job I’ve ever had—mainly because I’m the boss! No one is stifling my ideas so I get complete creative freedom. I love hearing the stories of the brides I work with, and then getting their wedding photos a few months later! Overall, this business is my dream come true. I work really, really hard but it never feels like work!

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
Hmmm, that’s a hard one. I had to ask my husband for help! The word would be vibrant!

Vendors Unveiled will be a regular feature on our blog, so be sure to check back often! If you’re a vendor who is interested in being featured, please email us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog and I have seen your Etsy website - very impressive- hard work pays off!!